LockDown Browser meets all web content accessibility guidelines, as documented in our Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT). LockDown Browser also works with many assistive technologies, with details listed below.
- Windows: The Windows version of LockDown Browser is tested and works with most available screen readers. We recommend using the screen reader NVDA on Windows.
- Mac: The Mac and iPad versions of LockDown Browser are tested and work with VoiceOver. Voiceover is built into the Mac OS. More about VoiceOver
- Chrome OS (Chromebooks): The LockDown Browser for Chromebook Extension is tested and works with ChromeVox. ChromeVox is built into the Chrome OS and can be triggered by using the following key combination: Ctrl+Alt+Z
LockDown Browser's functions and security remain the same when these screen readers are used. LockDown Browser does not block screen readers, and conforms to WCAG 2.1.
- There are some keyboard shortcuts that are unique to Respondus LockDown Browser for Windows and macOS. List of keyboard shortcuts
Text-to-Speech (also known as “read aloud” or “literacy” software)
- Kurzweil ReadTheWeb (Windows and Mac): LockDown Browser offers a built-in Kurzweil ReadTheWeb extension. (Note: There is a known issue with Kurzweil ReadTheWeb reading answer responses.) More about Kurzweil
Texthelp Read&Write (Windows): LockDown Browser has a custom integration with Read&Write. When a student is using LockDown Browser, a “lockdown mode” setting will be applied to the Read&Write toolbar, preventing certain features from being used during an exam (e.g., web searches). The reader and Screen Masking functions remain available to students during the exam. More about Read&Write
ReadSpeaker webReader for the LMS (Windows and Mac): When WebReader is embedded within a learning system, it will work seamlessly with LockDown Browser with some security limitations (e.g., copy/paste and MP3 downloads are disabled). The reading, masking, and text enlarging functions remain available to students during an exam. Note: WebReader does not support Canvas (New Quizzes) or Blackboard Learn Ultra – for these learning systems, the TextAid bookmarklet is recommended.
ReadSpeaker TextAid (Windows and Mac): The “bookmarklet” version of TextAid works with LockDown Browser and D2L, Blackboard Learn Ultra, and Canvas (New Quizzes).
Speech (MacOS 10.15 or older): Speech works with LockDown Browser, however it does not read multiple choice or true/false answer choices correctly in all LMS integrations. This issue and a potential fix is being investigated.
Spoken Content (MacOS 11.0 or newer): Speak Selection will work with LockDown Browser and all LMS integrations, although it works differently than Speech. It requires the use of the hot key (Option + ESC) to read the text audibly. (Note: There is an issue with Canvas Classic Quizzes and Speak Selection during LockDown Browser exams, so we recommend using VoiceOver as an alternative for Classic Quizzes.)
Others: Because many text to speech (TTS) applications include advanced functionality that would be considered exploits within LockDown Browser, portions of these programs cannot run on top of a LockDown Browser window. These programs are not blocked, however some functionality may be limited while using LockDown Browser (e.g., Natural Reader).
Speech-to-Text (also known as “Voice-to-Text,” or “dictation” software)
- Windows Speech Recognition: Works with LockDown Browser, with some limitations. More about Windows Speech Recognition
- Mac Voice Control: Works with LockDown Browser, with some limitations. More about Mac Voice Control
ChromeOS Dictation: Works with LockDown Browser, with some limitations. More about ChromeOS Dictation
- Nuance Dragon: Dragon is not blocked by LockDown Browser during an exam, but some functionality may be limited. Users have reported that adjusting the settings to turn off the dictation box will allow Dragon to work with LockDown Browser.
- Equatio by Texthelp (Windows): Equatio Desktop can be used with Respondus LockDown Browser to read exam math content while maintaining the security of the testing environment. More about Equatio Desktop
- Equatio by Lingit (Scandinavian language) More about Equatio by Lingit
- Zoom Text: Zoom Text works during a LockDown Browser exam.