In our testing, we have found that Windows Speech Recognition can have difficulty identifying what is said. To help improve the speech recognition, we recommend using a headset with a microphone.
How to start Speech Recognition:
- Press Windows Start button and type “Control Panel” and select the first search result.
- Go to “Ease of Access” > “Speech Recognition” > “Start Speech Recognition”
How to use:
- After starting Speech Recognition, an overlay will appear at the top of the screen.
- Select the microphone button to make the Speech Recognition hear your voice. Deselect the microphone button to ensure the software is not listening for commands.
- After clicking the button, you can enter text into text fields by speaking. This functionality will continue to work after opening Respondus LockDown Browser.
Note: Currently the text editor does not permit the Windows Speech Recognition’s voice-to-text feature to work on essay type questions in Canvas and Blackboard. This is a known issue outside of LockDown Browser.