Can a Chromebook be used with LockDown Browser? (K-12)
Posted by Respondus Support
A “beta” release of a new Chromebook extension for LockDown Browser is currently available for exams delivered in Canvas (Classic and New Quizzes) and Blackboard Learn (Original view). This solution is for student-owned devices and is distinct from the LockDown Browser for Chromebook application (kiosk app) currently available for “managed devices” (more on this below).
During the beta phase, the LockDown Browser license administrators will need to enable the Chromebook setting at the server level. The steps for doing this have been communicated directly to administrators.
Also, during the beta period, instructors will need to allow use of the new Chromebook extension on a per exam basis. From the LockDown Browser Dashboard, expand “Advanced Settings” and select the option to “Allow students to use LockDown Browser for Chromebook”. (If this setting doesn’t appear, it means the institution’s license administrator for LockDown Browser hasn’t yet enabled it at the server level.)
To install the new extension to a student-owned Chromebook, students will need to use the regular LockDown Browser installation link for your school (they will NOT be able to search for the app directly from the Chrome web store). The LockDown Browser installation link will direct students to the Chrome web store, at which point they should select “Add to Chrome” to install the LockDown Browser Extension.
If the instructor allows an exam to use the new Chromebook extension for LockDown Browser, it will automatically launch the LockDown Browser extension at the start of the quiz.
Finally, students using a managed Chromebook will need to have the necessary permissions to install Chrome extensions. Also note that this new extension can be installed on a managed Chromebook that already has the LockDown Browser "kiosk" app installed. The kiosk app doesn’t have to be uninstalled, and it can continue to be used as before.
To obtain technical support, or to report a bug/issue, open a support ticket at https://support.respondus.com/
Limitations and/or known issues with LockDown Browser for Chromebook (beta):
- Quiz passwords (specified via the "optional password" field in the LockDown Browser Dashboard) aren’t currently supported
- The “Early Exit” feature in LockDown Browser isn’t currently supported
- LockDown Browser’s Calculator and Spreadsheet features aren’t currently supported
- The extended keyboard functions (for adding symbols and special characters) isn’t currently available
- (Canvas) When using “New Quizzes,” students currently encounter a warning that the browser can’t open this page (this can be ignored)
- LockDown Browser’s “Help Center” is currently unavailable
- "Allow access to specific external web domains" option is currently not supported