Can a Chromebook be used with LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor? (Higher Ed)
Posted by Respondus Support
A “beta” release of a new Chromebook extension for LockDown Browser is currently available for exams delivered in Canvas (Classic and New Quizzes) and Blackboard Learn (Original view).
This version of the LockDown Browser Chromebook extension also supports Respondus Monitor, an automated proctoring system used at over 1,000 colleges and universities.
During the beta phase, LockDown Browser license administrators will need to enable the Chromebook setting at the server level. The steps for doing this has been communicated directly to administrators.
Also during the beta period, instructors will need to allow the use of LockDown Browser for Chromebook on a per exam basis. From the LockDown Browser Dashboard, expand “Advanced Settings” and select the option to “Allow students to use LockDown Browser for Chromebook”. (If this setting doesn’t appear, it means the institution’s license administrator for LockDown Browser hasn’t yet enabled it at the server level.)
Students using a Chromebook will need to use the regular LockDown Browser installation link for your institution (they will NOT be able to search for the app directly from the Chrome web store). The LockDown Browser installation link will direct the student to the Chrome web store, at which point they should select “Add to Chrome” to install the LockDown Browser Extension. If the instructor allows an exam to use the Chromebook version of LockDown Browser, it will automatically launch LockDown Browser at the appropriate time.
To obtain technical support, or to report a bug/issue, open a support ticket at https://support.respondus.com/
Limitations and/or known issues with LockDown Browser for Chromebook (beta):- Quiz passwords (specified via the "optional password" field in the LockDown Browser Dashboard) aren’t currently supported
- The “Early Exit” feature in LockDown Browser isn’t currently supported
- LockDown Browser’s Calculator and Spreadsheet features aren’t currently supported
- The extended keyboard functions (for adding symbols and special characters) isn’t currently available
- (Canvas) When using “New Quizzes,” students currently encounter a warning that the browser can’t open this page (this can be ignored)
- LockDown Browser’s “Help Center” is currently unavailable
- "Allow access to specific external web domains" option is currently not supported