The VoiceOver accessibility feature works with the Mac version of LockDown Browser. However, there are some differences in the way that VoiceOver functionality is accessed in each learning management system. The following notes may be helpful for students using VoiceOver.
Beginning an Exam
• For the pre-exam webcam checks and at the start of exams, students will often need to press the Control + Option + Shift + Down Arrow keys once for each new page to get to the web content area.
• D2L Brightspace exception: At the start of exams, the student can immediately start navigating with VoiceOver by using the Control + Option + Right or Left Arrow keys.
• Students can press the Control + Option + Right Arrow keys (or Left Arrow to go back up the page) for VoiceOver to access content and buttons on the page.
• If a student is stuck on a certain area in the page, it can be helpful to press the tab key to skip to a different group of content.
Multiple Choice Questions
• Options for multiple choice questions can be selected by pressing the Control + Option + Spacebar keys.
Fill in the Blank Questions
• When VoiceOver says “Text Field”, students are able to start typing their answer to the fill in the blank question. After they have done so, they can move to the next question by pressing the Control + Option + Right Arrow keys.
• Press the Control + Command + Spacebar keys to open the drop-down menu.
• Use the Up and Down Arrow keys to scroll through the options.
• Press the Control + Command + Spacebar keys to select the option.
In Blackboard and Canvas, Essay questions require additional user actions to access the text field:
• When the VoiceOver says "Frame 0" press Control + Option + Shift + Down Arrow to enter the text field area for typing the answers to essay questions. (See image below)
• To exit the text field, press the Control + Option + Shift + Up Arrow keys until VoiceOver states "Frame 0" again.
• After doing so, you can move on to the next question by pressing the Control + Option + Right Arrow keys.