Instructure Canvas currently does not have the necessary web services and APIs to retrieve quizzes and questions at this time. Retrieve questions from Canvas is on the Respondus Developers list for a future version of Respondus once Instructure has the opportunity to develop the necessary web services.
Meanwhile, you can export a single Classic Quiz as a IMS QTI 1.2 XML file for import into Respondus through the IMS QTI personality. Once the QTI file has been imported into Respondus, you can change the current personality back to Instructure Canvas or another LMS personality for publishing.
The steps are:
1. Log into your Canvas course
2. In the Canvas course, go to Settings->Export Course Content
3. Select "Quiz" under "Export Type"
4. When the quiz list appears, select only "one" quiz followed by "Create Export" and then download the export file. (See Notes Below)
5. Start Respondus 4.0
6. In Respondus->Start->Current Personality, select "IMS QTI"
7. Go to Respondus->Start->Import Questions.
8. In Import Questions->File Name:->Browse, select "Zipped IMS QTI package (.zip)" in the lower left.
9. Locate the just downloaded QTI export file and complete the import process.
10. Go back to Respondus->Start->Current Personality to change back to "Instructure Canvas" or other LMS.
Instructure Canvas currently does not support the export of question groups linked to questions banks in a quiz. Any quizzes with linked question banks will need to be rebuilt without the linked question banks before exporting as a QTI file.
Please note, questions with Canvas-specific XML may not import correctly import through the IMS QTI personality, where the questions might appear as different question types or flagged "quarantined"
While image files might be included in the QTI export package, customized XML used by Canvas might prevent the import of images into the questions. Any images will need to be re-inserted with the Respondus Media Wizard after importing the questions.
To export any question banks, you will need to build a new quiz from the question bank and then export as a quiz.