This error can occur for "auto-launch" environments when any of the following are true:
1) Your Respondus server profile is hidden. You'll want to ensure that your server profile is set to "No" for the setting "Hide this server from LDB."
2) For Schoology, students must use a standard browser and should log in via the same URL that is specified in your Respondus server profile. For example, if you have specified a URL of "app.schoology.com" in your Respondus server profile, you need to ensure that students are logging on using that URL. If your Respondus server profile has the "vanity" URL specified (example: respondus.schoology.com) then students should log in using only that URL.
3) For Canvas "New Quizzes" and Blackboard Ultra quizzes, students must use a standard browser and by default should log in to the same URL that is specified in your Respondus server profile. Using a different URL to log in is only supported if you've designated the necessary domain in your Respondus server profile. For more information on this, please see: https://support.respondus.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409595698587-Subdomain-Support
4) It's possible you have installed LockDown Browser using an installation package that contains the wrong institution ID. As a troubleshooting step, perform a reinstall of LockDown Browser, downloading the latest install package via your unique LockDown Browser download URL. Once the reinstall is performed, try taking the exam again.
5) For D2L: it's possible that the launch link being sent by D2L is not the same domain as what you have specified in your Respondus server profile. These must be the same domain, otherwise the error will occur. The relevant field in your Respondus profile is titled "URL for root folder of actual D2L system".
6) For Windows users, it's possible that you might have multiple LockDown Browser shortcuts present, each with different institution ID's. This is rare, but can occur when students need to use LockDown Browser to logon to more than one institution. In such a scenario, you need to ensure that the actual installation of LockDown Browser on your computer directs you to the institution that is using auto-launch.
7) If you have multiple LockDown Browser "apps" installed on your Mac. You can only have one for auto-launch to work. All extra LockDown Browser apps need to be moved to the trash, and then the trash should be emptied.