Cannot detect or configure the webcam
Posted by Respondus Support
When there are warnings of not being able to detect the webcam or there are problems configuring the Adobe Flash Player settings, we recommend students follow these additional steps:
1. Reboot your computer. Once restarted, close down all applications that might use a video camera or webcam.
2. Close down any utilities running in the background such as Dropbox, Skype, Instant Messaging clients, Facebook, BitTorrent, Spotify, and MegaBackup. Such utilities could be preventing your webcam from working correctly with LockDown Browser.
3. Ensure you have the latest version of LockDown Browser 2.0 for Windows or Mac installed. Both of these are available for download using the URL provided by your institution. To check what version you have installed, refer to this article.
4. Open LockDown Browser, log in, and navigate to a course. Afterwards, click on the "Help Center" icon in the toolbar.
5. Run the system check and ensure your camera is detected.
6. Run the webcam check and ensure your camera's image is shown. If necessary, you can change the camera during the webcam check via the "change my webcam" link. Be sure to actually select the physical internal or external camera. Never select anything labeled "splitter" or "filter." Please refer to this article.
If the image is detected during the Help Center webcam check, it should also be detected during the pre-exam webcam check.
7. If the camera is still not detected in the webcam check, you can try updating Flash. You should only update the PPAPI version of the plugin.
Go to: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
8. Sometimes, anti-virus software can interfere with the camera working properly. Temporarily disabling the AV software may help to determine if it's playing a role. Be sure to re-enable your AV software once you finish this troubleshooting step.
9. If necessary, check that the camera's driver is up to date.
If problems persist, one possible workaround is to use an external USB webcam.