Yes, administrators can follow these steps to install LockDown Browser 2 Lab Edition - Windows using a silent install command line option. A silent install allows the administrator to automate the install from the command line, without user interaction. This is different from a managed installation where desktop management software is used to “push” out the installation files, as is documented in the LockDown Browser Administrator Guide.
In order to be familiar with the basic install and uninstall process, prior to creating a silent install, manually run the installer "LockDownBrowserLab-2-0-1-xx.exe" to install LockDown Browser followed by running the installer a second time to "uninstall/remove" LockDown Browser.
Creating a silent install recording
1. Directly log in as a local Windows administrator.
(Windows->Control Panel->User Accounts->Manage Accounts->"Create New Account"->"Account type"->"Administrator"
or Windows->Control Panel->User Accounts->Manage Accounts->"user account"->"Change the account type"->"Administrator").
Note: The computer and account should be "stand alone" and NOT a member of a domain.
Do not use the normally hidden default "Administrator" or "System" account.
2. Download the full LockDown Browser 2 Lab Edition installer from the Respondus Administrators Area
(https://www.respondus.com/campus-portal) to the Downloads folder or other folder where the user has full read/write access.
(Not the root "C:\" folder.)
3. Start the Windows Command Prompt (or run CMD.exe). (Do not use "Run as Administrator" or "Command Prompt (Administrator)")
4. Change folders to where the installer was downloaded (i.e. the "Downloads" folder).
5. From the command line run:
LockDownBrowserLab-2-0-1-xx.exe /x "[temporary_folder]"
Example: LockDownBrowserLab-2-0-1-04.exe /x "c:\temp\ldb2setup"
6. Change folders to where the files were extracted in the "temporary_folder"
7. From the command line run:
This runs the regular installer but also creates a "c:\windows\setup.iss" file.
8. Copy the "setup.iss" file from "c:\windows\" into the folder containing the LockDown Browser Lab Edition installation files.
9. Un-install the Respondus LockDown Browser.
Now you now have a silent installer that can be run using this command:
setup /s /f1"%CD%\setup.iss"
Note: The "%CD%" or "Current Directory" variable may need to be replaced with the absolute path to the setup.iss file.
Creating a silent uninstall recording
To update LockDown Browser Lab Edition already on a system, the existing installation of LockDown Browser Lab Edition needs to be removed first using the same steps on an existing installation of LockDown Browser Lab Edition.
1. Manually install LockDown Browser 2.0 Lab Edition, if one doesn't exist already.
2. Repeat the above steps 1 to 7 on the system with an existing installation of LockDown Browser Lab Edition.
3. Rename the "setup.iss" file to something like "unsetup.iss" to distinguish from the original "setup.iss" file.
4. Copy the "setup.iss" file from "c:\windows\" into the folder containing the LockDown Browser Lab Edition installation files.
5. Run the silent uninstaller/installer in the following command sequence:
setup /s /f1"%CD%\unsetup.iss"
setup /s /f1"%CD%\setup.iss"